You know it can be difficult to find an ideal roommate if you’re looking for one. You desire someone dependable, responsible, and compatible with your way of life. How can you ensure that you choose the best roommate possible? Here are a few helpful tips!
- Define what you’re looking for in a roommate. Create a list of qualities that are important to you and use it as a screening tool when interviewing candidates. Make a point of asking about any deal-breakers (things that would make you unhappy) when conducting interviews. While you may have a vision of your ideal roommate, it’s also important to be realistic. Setting your expectations too high may make finding a new roommate extremely difficult.
- Scan your contact list. You probably know more individuals than you realize who may be seeking a roommate. As a result, starting with your contact list is a great place to start. Scan your list to determine if you already know a potential roommate. Then contact them and ask! Notifying others that you are seeking a roommate could result in the discovery of a lifestyle-compatible individual.
- Ask friends and family. It’s perfectly fine if you don’t know anyone who is looking for a roommate. Just inquire with your family and friends to see if they know anyone who might be interested. You probably know someone who is looking for a place to live. And, because your friend or family member knows you, they may be able to recommend someone with whom you would get along well.
- Use social media. Try online resources such as Facebook groups, Craigslist, and Reddit to spread the word that you’re looking for a roommate. You can also update your status on your own profile or inquire if anyone who follows you knows anyone. Be specific about what you’re looking for and avoid disclosing too much personal information.
- Try a roommate locating service. There are services that can assist you if you are having difficulty finding a roommate on your own. Based on your preferences and lifestyle, these services will pair you with potential roommates. There may be fees associated with various services with varying modes of operation. Before signing up for any service, be sure to do your homework.
- Choose the roommate that is the best fit for you and your lifestyle. After speaking with a few potential roommates and examining their references and rental history, it is time to decide! If you’re trying to decide between more than one fantastic option, go with your gut and choose the individual whom you believe would complement your personality and lifestyle the most.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.